CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, May 23, 2011

Getting healthier

So I have been giving a lot of thought to getting healthier. Admittedly I have let myself "slide" quite a bit and not that I am one who ever cares what I actually weigh (in fact I don't even own a scale!), I have finally reached a point where I am ready to make a commitment to myself to be healthier, feel healthier and look healthier. This doesn't meant I am "giving up" all the so called "good things in life", like my favorite: Pepsi and Dove Dark chocolate any variety or a Snickers now and again, though honestly the only thing I have a bit regularly in there is the Pepsi. I have already cut my Pepsi intake to one 12oz can (or bottle) every other day, and now getting to the point where I rarely even finish that one can. The goal is to only drink it occasionally (like I said I am not giving up on my favorites, just going to have them on special occasions or as a "treat" every so often but no longer daily or every other day).
Also with this challenge I have made with myself (a extremely good friend and I are doing this together to help each other along the way), I am committed to drink a green smoothie daily. These smoothies are all natural with fresh and fresh frozen ingredients.Today was my first attempt at making one and it wasn't to bad. Honestly, I was kinda "put off" by the green color of green smoothies. I am a very visual person and if something looks, well not right I am 99% sure I will NOT try it. So green drinks...well...enough said.
 Over the weekend I went out and bought a new blender, I got a KitchenAid, but if you look online the Blendtec and Vitamix seems what is most recommended to make your smoothie have the consistency of smoothie shops. Now I am sure these are wonderful blenders, let me assure you the KitchenAid that I bought worked perfectly and the consistency of my smoothie was like one found at Jamba, and with one-forth the cost of the "recommended" blenders, I couldn't be happier!
Todays smoothie consisted of spinach, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, strawberries and three-fourths of a pear for sweetness. I was pleasantly surprised that my smoothie was reddish-purple in color! Now, it did have a slight taste of spinach but it wasn't overwhelming and was pretty good. I am planning on going to the store again tonight and "stalk" the vegetable and fruit isles to get more mixture ideas and hopefully find some perfect combinations for me.

No comments: