CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Don't let Paypal fool you too

I have been known to use Paypal every once in a while, never had a problem and always felt safe and secure. John has also been known to use Paypal to pay for guitar parts and the like. He too has never had a problem with them and felt it was a safe and secure way to pay and even started his own Paypal account for a way for people to pay for their guitars or other merchandise they purchase through his web page. So to say we were blindsided is an understatement. We recently used Paypal to pay for a reunion we were attending, funny thing though I was worried paying that way from the start but like I have said we both had used it in the past without incident so I brushed it off as unfounded jidders. Last night I went to use the same card, that we had used to pay for the reunion, to purchase a small amount of school supplies. Well, the purchase obviously didn't go through. I was confused but both the cashier and I thought, "well, maybe there is a glitch in their system". So we ran it again with the same result. Still confused and now getting worried, I pulled out another card and was able to complete my transaction. I kept going over in my mind "when was the last time we used this card?", then I remembered we used it for the reunion using Paypal. My next thought was "but Paypal is safe, I have used it before" immediately followed by "but I don't recall using it since". I voiced the part about using Paypal recently, to the cashier. She quickly stated her last experience with Paypal and how that somehow they (Paypal) had kept her number, using it repeatedly until her account was was drained of funds without her knowing until she to went to use her card and it was declined. She told me that she was fooled with Paypal being a safe and secure way to pay online too, until what had happened to her. Honestly, I couldn't get out of that store fast enough to get home and check my account. Once home, I immediately got online and checked and she was 100% correct in what happened. I was shocked, mad, upset and felt lost. I told John, man when you can get a rise out of him he really can get angry, he was extremely mad to say the least. By then I was livid. John tried to call Paypal, but was referred to a website instead. There he was able to file a complaint, but who know what if anything will come of it. I on the other hand called the emergency number on the back of my card (while he was trying to contact paypal). I talked to really nice guy who then need me to talk to there security/fraud department, who was just as nice. By then my head was pounding, thought I was going to throw up and was shaking too. My account has now been closed, new cards will be issued with new account numbers. They will reverse those charges and will be sending out paper work for me to fill out to further their investigations. So I am relieved that we were able take care of it so quickly, but still sickened that this happened. However, lesson learned. There really is no safe online way to pay, regardless of what the company may claim. Check your statements regularly (which I do, but this wouldn't have showed up until next months statement). I for one will not be using Paypal again and more than likely I will not be buying online, even if it seems more convenient, and I will keep my purchases local and in person and with cash when I am carrying any.

No comments: