CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Retinal Hemorrhage

So, I have a retinal hemorrhage in my right eye. No clue how this happened and there is no actual cure, but there is treatment which I started this past Tuesday. One of the many tests I had was a fluorescein angiography a procedure that takes special photographs of your eye, in order to further investigate the blood vessels in my eye, which showed the hemorrhage.

From here I will need injections in my eye. The injection is a medicine called Avastin. It lasts one month in my eye, then I return for another. I don't know how many I will need of these (hopefully, not to many), then eventually I may need some laser treatments. I am a bit nervous about all this but the alternative is possibly blindness in the eye, so I will take the discomfort of the injections.

Tuesday was my first injection and to say that it was painful, is a HUGE understatement. I was told that it would just feel like pressure in my eye, boy were they ever wrong! They did put numbing drops in, and either they don't numb it enough or they didn't let it sit long enough. From there they put a wire thing in my eye to keep it open and then the shot immediately after. I was asked later how my eye felt and the best I could say is that my eye felt as if I had shards of glass in it. Now a couple of days later my eye is feeling better, though a bit tender still. Next appointment is set for March 10. I told the doctor they should give me a RX for Valium since I had no clue how I will be able to sit still for the next shot. I think they thought I was joking...

3 comments:

Tracy Collings said...

Wow, how does that happen?? I'm so sorry. It's frustrating that you have to go back. HUGS!

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh, I am so sad that you had to go through this. But thank goodness you did, blindness is not a good alternative.

Hang in there, babe. You can do it! =)

Marcismullings said...

Oh my gosh - I'm so sorry - how awful - I hope it gets better soon!