CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, August 29, 2008

Katies discouraging first day back to dance


So, last night was Katies day to go back to dance. She was excited all day. She loves dance almost as much as she loves school. So, as she and I went off to dance. Meanwhile, John had a chance to have a brief view of what my life is like when I have all the kids and have to go places (however he was down one since I had Katie). He took the other three to Back to School Night. I had to laugh, because usually I get the short end of the stick!
Back to Katie, this year in dance she will be doing ballet, tap and jazz. It is harder and faster than previous years and in May she will try out for juniors. Last night was hard and Katie got very discouraged, close to tears and already wanted to quit. I had to remind her of last years first day back and she had wanted to quit then too, but with more classes and practicing at home she had once again found her love for dance. I also reminded her that if it wasn't challenging she would grow bored with it, and I have not and will not make her take dance. She is old enough now to make those decisions her big self. So, we met with a compromise, she will dance this term and be in the Christmas show and if she decides she doesn't like it then we won't sign up next term if that is her choice. She is a good dancer but she lacks the confidence in herself, no matter how many praises we give her. She has the potential to go far with this if she chooses, I'd hate to see her give this up, partly because she has been dancing since she was three and she is really good when her mind is set to it, but also she keeps telling me she wants to be a dancer and a dance teacher when she grows up. However, it is her choice and I will support whatever she decides. Her teacher told the whole class that this year will be hard and they may shed many tears but she has known each of these girls since they were three and know with practice they all can do it. And I know it too. Now its up to the girls to believe in themselves.

No comments: