CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Volcano Project


The fifth graders have been given the project of building a volcano and having it erupt. I was always hoping that this wasn't anything that my kids would have to do, however here we are having to do it and is worth 50 points and will be graded on creativity. I must admit it made me think of that episode of the Brady Bunch where I think it was Peter who had to build an erupting volcano (that dates me now, huh?). After changing his mind at least a dozen times, Ethan decided to build his out of salt dough. We ended up having to triple the recipe to get it big enough. We made two batches of brown and one of green and with the idea from Cathy we added a scent to the dough,we made it mint. Ethan's job was to get it all "built" while I was gone to dance with Miss Taylor. I stopped at Zims crafts (for those who like Zims they are closing their store as of Nov. 1st)to pick up some miniatures to add to the mountain side of his project. I got him some houses, people (they are kinda giant size, but I know Ethan and he would love to see all the people get covered in lava), and a bunch of animals. Thankfully, Ethan did have it all done before I got home. Tomorrow is the day to make to volcanoes erupt. Should be good and I hope it all works out and I'll hopefully have some pictures of video of the days events.

1 comment:

Collings Family said...

That is so great! I can't wait until my kids are older and we can do fun science projects too!